There are times when we become disconnected from the earth. When that happens, it is a sign that our First Chakra (in Sanskrit known as “Muladhara”) has gone out of balance. The First Chakra, also known as “Root Chakra”, “Base Chakra”, and “Coccygeal Plexus Chakra”, deals with our connection to this planet, stability, security, survival, and the material aspect of our existence. Because this chakra corresponds with the endocrine system, people who are experiencing issues at the level of the First Chakra may develop thyroid disorders as well as other problems associated with the glandular system.
Many ungrounded people tend to lead an unhealthy sexual life, and struggle professionally and financially due to living in “survival consciousness”. Because of the fear of failure, such people tend to be afraid to follow their hearts, making them feel unfulfilled.
Once the First Chakra is brought back into balance and its energies are properly aligned, we begin to feel comfortable in our body again and become more confident and less fearful, which leads to a significant improvement in the quality of our life. A grounded person whose First Chakra is properly balanced, is not fearful, which allows him or her to take life by the horns. When we are grounded, we share our gifts and talents with the world without the fear of being judged. Our strong connection to the earth gives us the feeling of being well taken care of, which allows us to operate in the abundance mode.
Here are some great ways to effectively ground ourselves:
- Wear red and eat red-colored foods. The Root Chakra is associated with the color red. By wearing red clothing and consuming red-colored fruits and vegetables such as tomatoes, strawberries, raspberries, watermelons, red apples, red grapes, grapefruits, etc. you are helping to correct Root Chakra imbalances.
- Use crystals and gemstones. Best grounding stones (stones that enhance the connection between ourselves and the planet) include Hematite, Black Turmaline, Obsidian, and Tiger’s Eye. Keep a piece of one or more of them in your pocket or purse, or wear as jewelry during the day. At night, keep them under your pillow.
- Walk barefoot. Go to a park, a beach, a forest, or a field, and take off your shoes. Feel the earth’s energy shooting upward and entering your body. By walking barefoot, you allow the earth’s frequencies to quickly ground you, giving you a sense of stability, security, protection, and confidence.
- Visualization. Sit down in a place where you are least likely to be disrupted, close your eyes and imagine that your body is growing roots which are stretching deep into the ground. Do this for at least 5 minutes on a daily basis.
- Use Patchouli essential oil and/or incense. This is one of the best grounding herbs. Add a few drops of the essential oil to a pot with boiled water and allow the aroma to fill your space. You can also add the oil to a spray bottle with water and spray inside of your room.
- Eat roots. Consume root vegetables and/or plants that grow under the ground such as beetroot, carrots, burdock root, turmeric root, dandelion root, radishes, parsnip, etc. Those plants are wonderful carriers of grounding energies due to growing under the earth’s surface.
- Sleep on the floor. Sleeping on the floor is a great way of grounding ourselves and harmonizing ourselves with the earth’s magnetic field. Make sure that your head is pointing to the North. Avoid tall beds.
- Listen to “C” tone. The “C” tone directly corresponds to the Root Chakra. Listen to “C” tone right before falling asleep and right after waking up.